Monday 14 November 2011

Passion

Your passion drives you to do things your brain doesn't believe in.

We're talking about passion this week, and because our speaker for the week cancelled, we have to watch dvd's from a guy named Floyd McClung that I'm pretty sure are early 90's.  Yet somehow, it's still relevant.

Floyd wanted everyone to get to the core of their beliefs--beyond what they believe in their brain--and get to what they're passionate about in their heart.  He said the best way to find out your true passion is think about when you've gotten angry at someone and why you got angry.  If there's a common denominator, you may have found a passion of yours.

I discovered a very peculiar, oxymoron of a passion in myself.  I hate judgementalism in myself and in others.  Whenever I'm judgemental of myself, I catch it and quietly scold myself for putting myself above others, and when I see it in others, it takes all my energy to keep from screaming at them and reminding them that they've got their own mistakes to worry about.

I also really, really hate complaining.  There's nothing that annoys me more than well-fed, well-dressed North Americans bitching--pardon my language--about the traffic or the weather or how their food isn't perfect.  Even average people.  You're way more well off than the millions who slept in the rain on concrete last night.

Floyd then told us the root meaning of the word passion is, "to suffer for".  In other words, what would you be willing to suffer and die for?  You've just found your passion.  I'm still trying to answer that question, but I know truth is pretty high up there(that probably raises a ton of questions about what truth is...but that's for another post).  Then Floyd brought up an interesting point: the bible is constantly saying Jesus had COMpassion for others.  Jesus wanted to join others in their suffering, and eventually He died for them.

Nothing super crazy revelationary has come up yet, but I'm sure this'll be an interesting week.

Catch you all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment