Wednesday 19 October 2011

Home?

I found myself calling Port Credit home today...I suppose that's because we were at Greenhaven farm for two days.

We arrived around 930 Monday night, and I instantly loved it.  It reminded me so much of home(my real home)--fireplace included!  The first day was spent rotor-tilling and shoveling cow manure as the creators of the waste watch on with apparent indifference and the occasional, "moo".  That evening we went to a nearby town called Kincardine and visited their beach which looks so identical to an ocean that if it weren't for the fact that you can see where the beach ends on either side, then I would have a hard time believing the beach was on Lake Huron.

Our second day was spent planning/shooting a one-take video as a sort of welcome to any new guests who arrive at Greenhaven.  I think I have a love-affair with one-takes.  They take more work than any other shot in film history--except for maybe a helicopter shot--but they are the most exciting and interesting to plan/film.  Thankfully a fellow DTS-er(Jessica Bacon) is incredible at organizing and listening at the same time, so I relayed all my ridiculous ideas to her as she wrote everything down and planned out all the roles for everyone in the video. 

It felt like a very authentic director/producer relationship, and I loved it.  I can see why directors practically worship their producers...producers do all the work!  All I had to do was be creative and encourage people to act authentic!  I also carried the camera but that's like second nature for me now. 

I think I'm going to look into the industry of creating one-take videos.  I don't even know if there's a specific industry for it, but from the few one-takes I've worked on in my life so far, I am absolutely certain that they are my favorite thing to do in the realm of film.

Well, I am exhausted, and desperately in need of sleeping in a comfortable bed, so I'll talk to you all tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. ok, I admit, I'm a layman when it comes to film-techy-speak.
    Can anybody tell me what a one-take video is? :D

    ReplyDelete