Monday 31 October 2011

Listless Study.

Today began as yesterday ended.  With indifference.  I still don't know why exactly, but after having a fantastic session on the piano with Marvin, my spirits were slightly uplifted.  This was followed by working on my research project and helping plan our JAMM Cafe skit(fund-raising event for travelling).  After these things took place I fell asleep doing some reading/prayer, and went to worship practice shortly after waking up. 

I now sit watching 1000 ways to die, wishing the narrator would be more graceful when he talks about the victims of these quite often ironic deaths.

Our speaker/topic this week is on the theology, context, and overall depth of the bible.  We began by reading the book of Philemon this morning.  It is a total of 20-something verses long.  I'm not entirely sure, but I think it is the shortest book in the bible. 

The book of Philemon is a letter from Paul to Philemon about a former slave of Philemon's that Paul is sending back to him, and Paul is imploring that Philemon treat the former slave(Onesimus was his name) as a loved brother and equal--something Paul and the church have been fervently pursuing ever since. 

Through study and cross-referencing, we discovered that Philemon was of the church of Colossia(Colossians), and a whole plethora of other interesting factoids concerning the people and places mentioned in Philemon.  It can be argued that this study was in vain, but it put things into context for us, and anyone who has ever tried to read the bible just by glancing and reading a couple verses, will completely agree that it seems totally irrelevant, unorganized and just generally strange.

I love putting the bible into context, so hopefully my mood will improve over the week and God will give me the grace to enjoy and soak in the teaching we will be receiving.

Catch you all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment